Sunday, January 3, 2010

So what it's not January 1st.. It's the first day of my beginning

Today is Sunday, January 3rd.  While I might be conventional about some things, most things I am more 'open' to.  New Years' resolutions usually begin on the 1st.  Well, my New Year started out with a big of whimper instead of a bang, so I only decided to do this after reliving my daughter saying "Mommy, YOU, should start a blog."  She got this grand idea after seeing Julie and Julia (her name is Julia and I cook a LOT).  I think she thought that it should be about cooking, which I am sure will be incorporated into this entire experiment, but not the focus.

So, what is this Body, Art and Soul?

I have lived my life surrounded by both extraordinarily giving human beings (not only of money, but of time, skills, wisdom and merely their presence) and of non giving human beings.  It is in my DNA to be compassionate.  I honestly can't help it.  Much like my father, I sound like a grumpy bear, but I really am quite concerned with the world around me; both immediately and not so immediately.  This is the Soul part.  I am consistent about helping friends, feeding the poor, assisting with menial tasks for the homeless, seek out ways to help others help themselves with gifts (my two favorite are Food for the Poor and Heiffer).  As Anthony DeMello said, "Once you're awake, you're awake!  You cannot go back to sleep."  Wise man. I've read the majority of his books.  One aptly entitled Awakenings is one of my all time favorites.  As you can see, I'm getting off track here.  The 'soul' part is being conscious every single day of doing something for my soul.  Frankly, I'm not sure what all that will mean.  Going to church more regularly (I am an episco-buddhist), mediating, giving of myself to others, reading spirituality books, I'm not sure. It'll out though, it'll out.

As for the "Body".  That could mean many things as well. I have enjoyed a roller coaster for both my body and health.  Very active as a youngster and young woman, had beautiful children without a hitch and then became very very ill with cardiomyopathy (you can look it up), threw a lovely clot and had a stroke.  Should have died.  But, I'm here.  You couldn't tell to look at me.  But I was on lovely blood thinning drugs for 5 years, had to have a nanny because I couldn't lift anything over 40 lbs (my children were 2 & 4 at the time) and basically was given the death sentence from the Heart Failure Clinic at Vanderbilt.  Lovely!  But, I ended up having surgery to patch my lovely hole, which in turn helped the myopathy and was actually able to complete a 1/2 marathon 5 weeks later in Hawaii.  I completed another one two years later and shaved an hour off my time.  So, hey!  Note to self. When it's your time, it's your time.

So back to the what will I do for the 'body'.  I have grand aspirations of exercising every single day but I am not smoking pot at the moment and realize this is setting myself up for a failure of massive proportions. SO, the body.  It could mean exercise, yoga, getting enough rest, cutting meat out for weeks at a time, maybe not drinking wine for several months.  Walking the dogs more often, going to acupuncture (never been, just throwing that out there) or getting a massage (this one can count for the soul as well, I think).  I already eat organic foods (no, I don't have dreadlocks and wear tiva's nor do I grow my own clothes out back and I did not vote for Obama)  and cook for my family low fat, chock full of vegetables meals.  We are even a member of a CSA for vegetables in the summer months, so I'm not sure how much more I can improve on that.  Except drink more water!  There. See. I figured out a new one.

As for my 'Art'.  Well, that's a varied and long story but basically, as an artist, I get wonkied in 10 different directions about what I want to do.  I paint, I am a graphic designer, I want to get into textiles, I have written a children's book and really want to do the illustrations and get it published.  I love to write and have another book that has been manifesting in my little brain for nearly 15 years now.  I love photography and really want a new camera, but it's wayyyy to expensive.... So, art is subjective.  However, I want to do SOMETHING about it every day.  I want to pursue illustrating my friends' book that she has written. Go see a great band or even a not so great band (Nashville is chock full of great bands)  I want to pursue finishing more paintings for an exhibit that an art gallery would like to have for me. I want to pursue painting more with my children.  They are VERY talented.

So basically it's painting, pursuing painting or my textiles, or exhibiting at a show or  writing or something. Just something every day.  This also crosses into the soul thing.  I need to pursue art for my soul.  It has just come to that.

All of this sounds so selfish.  Yikes. Ugly one that.  But it really isn't.  When your heart, mind, soul and body are on the right path, everyone benefits.  People you will never meet nor know their names will benefit.

So today, the first day, I have begun the blog!  HUGE!!! That is for the 'soul' and 'art' today.   I shall also write in my diary in a moment in front of my lovely skitzo fireplace.  It seems I must tend to every fire as if a small child's life depended upon it.  Blazing one minute, nearly out the next.... skitzo.

As for my body. I am joining the YMCA so that I can pursue kick boxing again. It's been several years since I've been able to do it.  Knocked my shoulder out of socket and took a year to heal.  No. I do not have anger management issues.  I just  Love that sport.  You literally get to knock the shit out of something with a smile on your face and not get into trouble.  AND you sweet and you clear your mind.  Beautiful.

And so shall end my first post.  Let the games begin.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacey, I love it already. Have fun with it! Would love to see some of your favorite recipes, especially vegetarian ones as I'm hopeless at coming up with yummy meals without meat. Would you ever sell your art to your adoring friends? I'm so in love with everything of yours I have seen.

    ReplyDelete